Pahang has no intention of lowering logging tax

Pahang has no intention of lowering logging tax

Menteri Besar Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail says the rates were raised last June, after 31 years.

Pahang expects RM200 million in revenue from logging this year. (Bernama pic)
KUALA LIPIS:
Pahang has no intention of lowering its timber tax which was raised on June 1 last year.

Pahang Menteri Besar Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail said the increase, which was done after 31 years, was deemed reasonable and lower than the timber tax imposed by other states such as Kelantan, Terengganu and Perak.

“Perak, Terengganu and Kelantan have raised it three or four times, but our timber royalty has not been increased for the past 31 years.”

He said although there were logging companies which had asked to review the new rates imposed, the state government felt they were fair and necessary.

“From the middle of last year, we got RM100 million. This year, we are expecting to get RM200 million.

“All this money will be redistributed to the people and this tax increase does not involve the people.

“Only the logging companies with licences are involved,” he told reporters after officiating the closing ceremony of the integrated enforcement operation on mining activities for the Lipis district (Ops Lombong 4.0) here today.

Wan Rosdy said operations against illegal mining and land cultivation, conducted from time to time by the Pahang State Forestry Department, had been able to drastically reduce the number of such cases.

“This year alone, the Forestry Department has successfully opened 12 investigative papers.

“From the previous operations carried out, the authorities have been able to detect illegal gold mining activities in Bukit Ibam, Rompin. This had resulted in losses amounting to RM1.2 million for the state government,” he said.

During the latest operation, held for three days since Monday, he said the authorities had raided two illegal mines in Ulu Jelai Forest Reserve and Mukim Cheka.

It resulted in the arrest of seven foreigners — an Indonesian, three Myanmars and three Bangladeshis — all of whom were handed over to the Immigration Department for further action.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.