UK charity denies Nora’s family involved in her death

Members of Nora Anne Quoirin’s family arriving at Hospital Tuanku Jaafar, Seremban, to identify her body last Wednesday night. (Bernama pic)

PETALING JAYA: A UK-based missing persons charity supporting the family of Nora Anne Quoirin have rejected an Irish lawyer’s allegation that the family were complicit in Nora Anne’s disappearance and death.

“There is no truth in this story,” said Matthew Searle, chief executive of the Lucie Blackman Trust, in a brief reply to FMT when asked for comments on FMT’s report today that police were looking into the claims raised by lawyer Anne Brennan.

Brennan, who is a child activist, had accused Nora’s family of doing “everything in their power to subvert the course of justice”. She alleged that the parents, Meabh and Sebastien Quorin, had “high-tailed” it out of the country upon receiving a guarantee that they would not be investigated for any involvement in the teenager’s disappearance and death.

Authorities had attributed Nora’s death last week to internal bleeding probably due to prolonged hunger and stress. She was reported missing on Aug 4 in a resort near Nilai, Negeri Sembilan.

Searle declined comment on Brennan’s claims nor would he state if legal action would be taken against Brennan.

Negeri Sembilan police chief Mohamad Mat Yusop has confirmed today that the family have left the country, Bernama reported.

Brennan had claimed that the family had “somehow convinced the Malaysian authorities to abandon their murder inquiry and release Nora’s body without producing the necessary forensic and toxicology reports that form part of every standard criminal death investigation”.

Calling the entire matter a “cover-up”, Brennan claimed the Quoirins had given no account of their movements in the hours before they reported their daughter missing.

Brennan also pointed out that the police had confirmed there was no evidence of a “third party” entering the family’s villa on the night Nora Anne was reported missing.

Police deny taking Nora’s family to meet ‘mediums’

Negeri Sembilan police have denied taking Nora Anne’s parents – mother Meabh and father Sebastien – to meet mediums on the night before Nora’s body was found, as reported by a British newspaper.

State police chief Mohamad Mat Yusop confirmed he had given no such orders to any of his officers. “No necessity at all (to do so),” was his brief answer in a text message to Bernama today.

The Daily Mail newspaper, quoting sources familiar with the investigation, said today that the police, “in their desperation”, had taken the parents to meet several mediums in the hope of finding a breakthrough when the search for the teenager appeared to have come to a dead end.

Police said the post-mortem on Nora Anne conducted on Aug 14 revealed that Nora Anne had died of gastrointestinal bleeding after having gone without food for a long time as well as prolonged stress.

Her body was found last Tuesday after a 10-day search. She went missing on Aug 4, a day after the family arrived for a holiday at an eco-resort in Pantai here.