Show us the video, cops tell families of shot trio

Selangor police chief Noor Azam Jamaluddin (second from left) and senior officers show the revolver and pistol seized after the latest shooting today.

SEPANG: The police have called on the families of the trio killed in the Batu Arang shootout to come forward with a CCTV video clip purportedly showing a missing woman with the men just hours before the fatal shooting.

Selangor police chief Noor Azam Jamaluddin said the families should hand the video to the police to assist investigations as they also want to solve the mystery surrounding the missing woman.

The footage, released by lawyer P Uthayakumar today, shows a woman resembling Moganambal Govindasamy leaving an elevator at The Henge condominium in Kepong at 10.33pm on Sept 13, hours before the shootout, accompanied by her husband V Janarthanan and two other men.

Uthayakumar said the video is proof that Moganambal had been with the three men just hours before they were killed.

Noor Azam also said not all police cars are fitted with dashboard cameras, after the families urged the police to release the dash cam footage of the police car involved in the shootout.

“As far as I know, only highway patrol cars are fitted with dash cams,” he said at a press conference at the Sepang district police headquarters.

The shootout on Sept 14 occurred when a police patrol ordered a car carrying the three men – Sri Lankan national and British permanent resident Janarthanan, his brother-in-law Thavaselvan and Maghendran Santhirasegaran – to pull over at Bandar Country Homes.

Police said when the men refused, a 7km chase ensued and the men opened fire on the officers, who returned fire.

They said Thavaselvan and Maghendran were wanted members of the 08 gang in Rawang, while Janarthanan had overstayed his visa.

Uthayakumar, who is representing the families of the deceased, said they were demanding answers as to why none of the gunshots was aimed at the legs and all were at the chest and face.

He said they had yet to receive copies of the dashcam recordings from the police vehicle, the first information report, all relevant police reports, and Section 112 statements by the Unit Tindakan Khas (UTK) members involved in the shooting.

Govindasamy, the father of Moganambal and Thavaselvan, also claimed that his daughter was with the trio and that she was now missing.

Inspector-General of Police Abdul Hamid Bador has ordered an inquiry into the shooting, saying it is out of public interest to clear the air, although Uthayakumar dismissed it as an “eyewash”.

The foreign and local currencies seized from the four men in the latest shooting.

Another four shot dead

In a separate incident, Noor Azam said the police took down another group of robbers today, with four men killed in a shootout.

He said that when a team approached a Mercedes Benz parked at the basement of SkyPark in Cyberjaya, a man in another car parked nearby ran out and tried to attack the officers with a machete.

He said the officers heard several gunshots coming from the Mercedes at the same time, which led to them firing back.

The Mercedes was said to have been stolen in a separate incident earlier, where a family of five were robbed by four masked men.

Three of the deceased have been identified as Sree Tharan Sreekamlan, 35, Balakrishnan Ramamadram, 45, and Danes Manivanan, 28.

Sree Tharan and Balakrishnan had 35 and 16 records for crimes, respectively, involving robberies, break-ins, vehicle thefts and drugs, while Manivanan had one record.

The fourth man has not been identified yet.

Police recovered a revolver, a pistol, several machetes, ski masks and foreign and local currencies.