PETALING JAYA: PKR president Anwar Ibrahim believes Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad will not “trivialise” the PH manifesto and is implementing what he can.
“He has said some parts of the manifesto can be implemented and some have to be put on hold,” he told the media at a function in Port Dickson today.
This morning, Mahathir was reported as saying that PH did not expect to win the May 9 polls and had made promises in its manifesto which were difficult to deliver.
“We thought we were going to lose. We put in tough things in the manifesto so that if we lose, the (BN) government would be in a quandary (after winning the polls).
“But now, we are the government. We are victims of our own manifesto,” he was quoted as saying.
Anwar, the Port Dickson MP, said the matter could be raised during the PH leadership meetings starting tomorrow. “I believe the matter will be raised and discussed with Tun (Mahathir),” said Anwar.
He was also asked on the reason 18-year-old youths can be candidates but cannot vote. Candidates for the Nov 16 Tanjung Piai by-election can be individuals aged 18 and above, but they will not be able to vote for themselves.
Anwar said it is an elaborate process and involves millions of voters. The Election Commission (EC) is in the process of updating its electoral list, he added.
EC deputy chairman Azmi Sharom had previously said that even though the Dewan Rakyat had passed the bill to amend the Federal Constitution to lower the voting age to 18 in July, it does not mean they can register as voters right away.
Azmi had said a two-year period would be necessary as the EC needs to prepare for the millions of additional voters, ensure sufficient polling centres and channels, buy more ballot boxes and train more EC officials.