No go for Najib’s bid to access Justo documents given to MACC

Former prime minister Najib Razak.

KUALA LUMPUR: The prosecution in Najib Razak’s money laundering and abuse of power trial today refused the former prime minister’s application for the documents given to the anti-graft agency by ex-PetroSaudi International Ltd executive Xavier Andre Justo last year.

Deputy public prosecutor Mustaffa Mohamad Kunyalam said Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) deputy chief commissioner Azam Baki had affirmed an affidavit denying Najib the documents.

“MACC will not divulge any contents as it is confidential information under the Evidence Act,” he said.

During case mention today, Najib’s lawyer Muhammad Shafee Abdullah told judge Collin Lawrence Sequerah that his client would respond to Azam through an affidavit.

“We will file it latest by Tuesday,” he said.

Sequerah then fixed the hearing for Najib’s application on Dec 13 and told all parties to file their submissions by Nov 30.

Najib had sought the information to assist him in the defence of the 1MDB trial, which will resume on Jan 6.

Justo was a director based in PetroSaudi’s London office between February 2010 and April 2011.

He was said to have handed over a box containing documents and files on Nov 2 last year after being called in to have his statement recorded by anti-graft investigators on the 1MDB financial scandal.

He acknowledged that Najib’s name was mentioned several times in the 227,000 documents he had with him involving 1MDB. However, he did not mention the context in which Najib’s name was mentioned.

Najib is facing 25 charges of money laundering and abuse of power over alleged 1MDB funds in his AmBank accounts.

He is accused of abusing his position to obtain RM2.28 billion in bribes in February 2011 and December 2014.

He is also said to have transferred RM2.28 billion in illegal funds to his bank accounts and to have subsequently used the money.