KUALA LUMPUR: Major secondary school examinations are being rescheduled because of the extension of the movement control order until April 14.
The ministry said extra time was needed to ensure the curriculum could be finished within the given time-frame.
The Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia examination will be held from Nov 16 to Dec 7, instead of Oct 5 to Nov 19.
For the Form Three Assessment, the examination for the Bahasa Malaysia and English Language papers will held on Sept 28 and Sept 29 respectively.
Dates for the Ujian Pencapaian Sekolah Rendah (UPSR) examination remain unchanged.
The Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM) Semester 2 examination, which was initially scheduled for early May, has been postponed to Nov 18, 19, 23 and 24 while the Semester 3 examination will take place as scheduled on Nov 3, 4, 5, 9 and 10.
The Semester 2 examination was rescheduled to give ample time for schools to manage the remaining second semester, the statement said.
The dates for the STPM Repeat 1 examination have been postponed to Nov 25, 26, 30 and Dec 1 while the Repeat 2 examination has been rescheduled to March 15 to 18, 2021.
The Malaysian University English Test (MUET) Session 1/2020, which was supposed to be held on March 28, has been moved to Sept 5.
The International Language Achievement Test (UPBA), the oral and written examinations for the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia Ulangan (SPMU), the Sijil Tinggi Agama Malaysia (STAM) written test remain unchanged.
Other major examinations that have been rescheduled:
- The Matriculation Programme Examination (PSPM) Session 2019/2020: Original Date: March 30 until April 6, 2020/ New Date: April 27 until May 4, 2020.
- The Preparatory Programme for Bachelor of Teaching (PPISMP): Original Date: May 4 until May 11, 2020/ New Date: June 3 to 12, 2020.
- The Malaysian Diploma in Education Programme (PDPM): New Date: April 4 to 6, 2020/ New Date: April 27 to 30, 2020.
- The Bachelor in Teaching Programme (PISMP): Original Date: May 4 to 21, 2020/ New Date: June 3 to 18, 2020.
- The Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching (PDPP): Original Date: May 4 to 21, 2020/ New Date: June 3 to 18, 2020.
Postpone second semester, ministry urges universities
The higher education ministry has recommended that all public universities postpone the start of the second semester.
It said various factors, such as the fact that most students had already returned to their hometowns or to their families since the movement control order came into force.
It also took into account the Hari Raya Aidilfitri holidays expected to begin from May 24, and the dates for the 2019/2020 session and the 2020/2021 session.
The first semester of the 2020/21 session is expected to begin in mid-October. All public universities have been advised to manage the return of their students to campus in phases and with prudence.
Private institutions can continue their existing semester and begin the new one based on their own academic calendar.