PUTRAJAYA: Schools will reopen on June 24 for Form Five and Six students sitting for major government examinations, more than three months after classes were called off as part of Covid-19 containment measures under the movement control order (MCO).
Education Minister Radzi Jidin said the education and health ministries as well as the National Security Council were satisfied with the standard operating procedures following several dry runs conducted by officials at selected schools.
“To parents, do not worry. We also hope parents and guardians ensure their children’s health before sending them to school,” he said in a press conference today.
However, he said sports activities and school assemblies would not yet be allowed.
“The guidelines will be updated from time to time taking into account the health ministry’s advice,” he added.
He said only 20 students will be allowed per class, with desks arranged one metre apart. The same rule applies for dormitory beds. However, the number of beds per room will depend on the size of dormitories.
“Staggered mealtimes will be implemented for dormitories, according to the number of students,” he said, adding that the table settings in dining halls will also be changed.
To resolve the problem of crowding in school canteens during recess, students will be required to buy food and eat in their classrooms under the teacher’s supervision, Radzi said.
“Parents are also encouraged to prepare food for their children.”
He said schools would also provide an isolation room for students who showed Covid-19 symptoms to avoid the risk of transmission to other students.
Radzi previously indicated that only Form Four and Six students at some 3,000 secondary schools nationwide would be affected by the reopening of schools.
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST DATA ON THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA
Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.