It’s the ‘mother of all charges’, says prosecutor in Guan Eng’s latest case

The prosecution says this will be the ‘last round of charges’ against former Penang chief minister Lim Guan Eng. (Bernama pic)

BUTTERWORTH: The lead prosecutor in Lim Guan Eng’s latest case involving the alleged misappropriation of Penang government land has described it as the “mother of all charges”.

Deputy public prosecutor Wan Shaharuddin Wan Ladin told reporters the case would be the last round of charges against Lim, after the three corruption and abuse of power charges against him last month.

“It is the mother of all charges. To quote a villagers’ proverb, we have seen the head, the body, but what about the tail? This is what I call the tail,” he said today when asked if Lim would face more charges in the future.

Asked about the prosecution’s chances in the case, Wan Shaharuddin said the policy of the Attorney-General’s Chambers and the Malaysian Anti Corruption Commission was that “we only prosecute cases where we have 99% chances of obtaining a conviction”, while (the remaining) 1% was left to an “act of God”.

“We can’t say we have 100% chances of victory, but 99% we will prosecute, where we have a chance of winning,” he said.

Earlier in the morning, Lim, a two-term Penang chief minister between 2008 and 2018, was charged in the Sessions Court here with misappropriating two parcels of state land worth RM208.7 million in Tanjung Pinang to two companies.

He claimed trial to the charges after the court allowed his RM1 million bail posted for the three previous charges to be extended to today’s two additional charges.