No law against making an appeal to the King, says Anwar

No law against making an appeal to the King, says Anwar

Opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim slams government over the investigation, telling them not to 'resort to threats'.

Anwar Ibrahim says he will cooperate with the police if there were legal grounds for him to be investigated.
PETALING JAYA:
Opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim has asked police to make clear the law under which they are investigating him over his letter to the King appealing for the revocation of the proclamation of emergency.

Saying that there is no law in the country that stops anyone from appealing to the King to rescind his decision, the PKR president questioned the need for him to give a statement to police on the matter.

“I want to ask, what laws do we have in our country (that says this is wrong)? What rule in the Federal Constitution does not allow the rakyat to appeal to the compassion and wisdom of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong on any matter?” he said at a press conference that was broadcast live on his Facebook page today.

He added that he would cooperate with all parties, including the police, if there were indeed any legal grounds for him to be investigated.

“I hope the police can carry out their duties professionally.”

On Jan 27, it was reported that police had begun an investigation into Anwar’s call for the King to rescind the emergency proclamation.

Anwar said that it was also unreasonable for the government to be threatening only “two or three people”, as he was not the only person planning to challenge the matter in court.

“Aside from myself representing Pakatan Harapan, members of the state legislative assemblies and also NGOs, including Bersih, will also be appealing this matter. Is filing a petition in court against the law too?” he asked.

Perak police chief Mior Faridalathrash Wahid reportedly said Anwar’s case was being handled by Bukit Aman CID’s special investigation unit.

Earlier this month, Anwar had written to all MPs, urging them to write to the King to plead with him to revoke the emergency proclamation and call for a Parliament sitting as soon as possible.

Home minister Hamzah Zainudin today reportedly said police had already opened an investigation against Anwar following 13 police reports made against him nationwide, alleging that he was seditious and had threatened public safety and national harmony.

He said the investigations would also include a few other individuals who were reportedly against the emergency proclamation, and who had urged the Yang di-Pertuan Agong to revoke the proclamation.

In reply, Anwar said he was simply appealing to the King in his letter.

“What did I say in my letter? I said I was appealing to the compassion and wisdom of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong to consider revoking the emergency.”

He said that he was only against the advice by Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin and his Cabinet, pointing out that the majority of MPs had not agreed to the suspension of Parliament as a result of the declaration of emergency last Jan 12.

“I wish to remind here that the number of MPs who had not agreed were at least 114,” he said, adding that this was evidence that the Perikatan Nasional (PN) government had lost its majority in the Dewan Rakyat.

Anwar, who is also Port Dickson MP, claimed this was the real reason behind the suspension of Parliament.

“You have lost in the political arena and have lost majority. Face this reality democratically, don’t resort to threats,” he said, referring to the government.

 

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.