MELAKA: Those trying to sneak across state borders for the start of the fasting month on April 13 have been warned – you will be issued summonses and there will be no leniency.
Summonses will be issued to those trying to return to their villages in other states to celebrate Ramadan, said Bukit Aman crime prevention and community safety department (JPJKK) director Zainal Abidin Kasim.
As such he said, more stringent checks would be conducted at all roadblocks at the state border and only those authorised to travel interstate would be allowed to do so.
“I foresee the roads and highways being busy this weekend as many will be travelling to celebrate Ramadan in their hometowns since they could not do so last year due to the movement control order.
“They will try all possible means to travel interstate so if they are caught this time no more advice will be given … the police will take action straight away,” he told reporters after the launch of the Satu Taman Satu Polis programme, here, today.
Also present were Melaka police chief Abdul Majid Mohd Ali and state JPJKK chief Mohd Hedzir Hussin.
Zainal Abidin said more roadblocks would be mounted from time to time, depending on the number of daily Covid-19 positive cases reported.
So far, he said 30 to 35 roadblocks were being mounted at every exit and entry point as well as at state borders nationwide as and when necessary.
Meanwhile, he said the Satu Taman Satu Polis programme would be extended nationwide, especially in rural areas in an effort to provide quality services and to increase the level of security and sustainability of the housing areas involved.