Najib’s RM27mil SRC trial postponed to August

Najib’s RM27mil SRC trial postponed to August

Second trial involving SRC International funds sees former prime minister Najib Razak facing three money laundering charges.

Najib Razak pleaded not guilty to the three charges filed against him in February 2019. (Bernama pic)
KUALA LUMPUR:
Najib Razak’s second trial over SRC International Sdn Bhd funds, in which the former prime minister is facing three money laundering charges involving RM27 million, has been put off to August.

His lawyer Nur Syahirah Hanapiah said the trial dates previously set by High Court Judge Mohamed Zaini Mazlan in July this year have been vacated but the trial dates on Aug 2 to 5 and Aug 9 to 10 are maintained.

“The court also fixed additional dates for next year, on March 7 to 10, March 28 to 31, April 11 to 14 and April 25 to 28,” said Nur Syahirah after the case management before High Court deputy registrar Catherine Nicholas today.

The trial was originally scheduled to start on July 5.

Deputy public prosecutor Mohd Ashrof Adrin Kamarul said the trial dates in August are maintained and that the court has also fixed July 16 for another case management.

On Feb 3, 2019, Najib pleaded not guilty to the three charges of money laundering. He is accused of receiving money totalling RM27 million, allegedly proceeds from unlawful activities, in three AmPrivate Banking accounts belonging to him.

Najib is alleged to have committed the offences at AmIslamic Bank Bhd, Bangunan Ambank Group, No 55, Jalan Raja Chulan, on July 8, 2014, under Section 4(1)(a) of the Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorism Financing Act 2001, which provides for a maximum fine of RM5 million or jail not exceeding five years or both, upon conviction.

He was earlier charged in the sessions court but the case was transferred to the High Court on March 13, 2019.

On July 28, last year, High Court Judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali sentenced Najib to 12 years’ jail and a fine of RM210 million after finding him guilty on seven charges of criminal breach of trust, money laundering and abuse of position, involving RM42 million of SRC funds.

The case is at the appeal stage at the Court of Appeal. The court has set May 18 to continue hearing Najib’s appeal against the High Court’s ruling.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.