JOHOR BAHRU: Police have refuted a fake statement which went viral on social media that Singaporeans may face snatch thieves here when the Malaysia-Singapore border is opened.
Johor police chief Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay said police will take stern action against irresponsible parties for spreading fake information, rumours or unverified news on the matter.
He stressed that the overall crime in the state from January this year had fallen by 2,610 cases, or 39.67%, and the situation was under control.
“Snatch thefts in Johor in the same period also recorded a fall of 125 cases, which is equivalent to 77.64% compared to last year. Similarly, motorcycle thefts also dropped by 1,099 cases or 51.05%,” he said in a statement here tonight.
Ayob Khan said, however, that police would continue to act aggressively to eradicate crime and ensure the state was safe to live in and visit.
In this regard, he advised members of the public not to believe what was going viral on social media, saying they should verify the information received.
Earlier, the fake statement alleged that hundreds of thieves on motorcycles in the district are ready to pounce on tourists from Singapore when the Malaysia-Singapore border is reopened.
The statement, among others, claimed that police would not be taking action because there would be too many cases to handle.
Earlier today, the Prime Minister’s Office said Singapore and Malaysia would launch a land vaccinated travel lane (VTL) via the Causeway from Monday.
Called VTL-Land, it would be limited to transportation by bus, but other modes would be included in stages.
The Singapore-bound designated bus services would use the Larkin Sentral bus terminal (Larkin Sentral) as the boarding and disembarkation point in Malaysia, and the Queen Street Terminal (QST) in Singapore.