
Norhayati Mohd Ariffin said she and her son continued to hope for the best although Amri’s disappearance remains a mystery, and hoped that the new government would take the case seriously.
“We want to know what really happened to my husband and hope for his safe return.
“I sincerely hope that the government will reveal the latest developments in the investigation into my husband’s disappearance,” she told FMT.
Amri, who was the founder of the NGO Perlis Hope, left his home in Kangar at about 11.30pm on Nov 24, 2016. His car was found at a construction site at the Bukit Cabang Sports School in the early hours of the following day.
Suhakam held a public inquiry into Amri’s disappearance between 2017 and 2019.
Last year, it concluded that Amri was a victim of enforced disappearance carried out by the state, specifically by the police’s Special Branch.
Norhayati said her legal team continued to carry out its duties after she filed an application at the Kuala Lumpur High Court to commence a legal challenge to declassify a government report over Amri’s disappearance last December.
However, she said there has yet to be any court ruling in her favour.
In the application, she sought leave to initiate a judicial review to set aside several provisions in the Official Secrets Act (OSA), under which the report has been classified.
She also wanted the court to declare as unconstitutional the government’s decision to classify as secret a report by the special task force on the disappearance of Amri and Pastor Raymond Koh.