Justice Roz Mawar to hear ex-research assistant’s suit against Anwar

Justice Roz Mawar to hear ex-research assistant’s suit against Anwar

Lawyer Navpreet Singh said the judge, who takes over from Justice Johan Lee, has maintained the trial dates in June.

Yusoff Rawther
Yusoff Rawther claims that he had been sexually assaulted at Anwar Ibrahim’s home in Segambut in October 2018. (Bernama pic)
KUALA LUMPUR:
High Court judge Roz Mawar Rozain has been assigned to hear former research assistant Yusoff Rawther’s civil lawsuit against Anwar Ibrahim, lawyer Navpreet Singh said.

Navpreet, who is appearing for Anwar, said Roz Mawar, who has taken over the case from Justice Johan Lee, maintained the trial dates in June.

Last year, Johan, who has been transferred to the High Court in Alor Setar, fixed June 16 to 19 and June 23 to 25 for the hearing.

“The new judge has ordered the parties to file their witness statements by May 26,” Navpreet said after appearing for the first time in a case management before Roz Mawar today.

Lawyer Rafique Rashid Ali , who represented Yusoff, confirmed the matter.

Yusoff filed the suit against Anwar in 2021, claiming that he had been sexually assaulted at the PKR president’s home in Segambut in October 2018.

Yusoff, the grandson of the late Penang consumer advocate SM Mohamed Idris, sought special, general, aggravated and exemplary damages, as well as interest, costs and other relief deemed fit by the court.

He alleged that following the incident, he was accused of plotting against Anwar to damage his political career. He also said the accusations had affected his mental health.

Anwar denied the claim and filed a countersuit.

Yusoff was placed under remand at Sungai Buloh prison after he was charged with trafficking in 305g of cannabis in a vehicle in front of the Kuala Lumpur contingent police headquarters’ surau at 10.15am on Sept 6 last year.

Bail is disallowed for such an offence.

He was also charged with possessing two replica pistols near a condominium at Jalan Bukit Kiara at 9.25am on Sept 6.

The trial for both cases before High Court judge Jamil Hussin will be held for five days from April 7.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.