Rafizi, Nik Nazmi still bound by RM10mil party bond, says Fuziah

Rafizi, Nik Nazmi still bound by RM10mil party bond, says Fuziah

PKR secretary-general says the party has evidence suggesting that the two former MPs joined Parti Bersama Malaysia before vacating their seats.

PKR secretary-general Fuziah Salleh (centre) said tomorrow’s political bureau meeting is expected to discuss the possibility of action against Rafizi Ramli (left) and Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad (right).
PETALING JAYA:
Former PKR deputy president Rafizi Ramli and former vice-president Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad are still bound by the party’s RM10 million bond, despite their assertion that they vacated their parliamentary seats before leaving the party, says PKR secretary-general Fuziah Salleh.

She said PKR had evidence suggesting that the two former MPs joined Parti Bersama Malaysia before vacating their seats, based on information published on the party’s website.

She said the conditions of the party bond would therefore still apply.

“They are saying the anti-hopping law does not apply. But we have evidence that they had already joined Parti Bersama Malaysia, with the timestamp showing May 17,” she told FMT.

Fuziah said while PKR would leave the matter to the party’s legal team, it is also expected to be discussed at tomorrow’s political bureau meeting, including the possibility of action against the two former party leaders.

Under the bond, candidates who win their seats on PKR tickets are required to pay RM10 million within seven days if they resign from the party, join another party, or become independents.

Yesterday, Rafizi said he and Nik Nazmi were not bound by the RM10 million bond, and that their decision to first vacate their parliamentary seats in Pandan and Setiawangsa was the key reason they would not face disciplinary or legal action.

According to Rafizi, the bond only applies if an MP quits the party and joins another party without vacating the seat won on a PKR ticket.

The duo also submitted letters to Dewan Rakyat Speaker Johari Abdul, notifying him of their resignations from their seats effective today.

In a statement, they said the “right and respectable move” for them is to return the mandate to voters, “as we were elected on a Pakatan Harapan ticket in the last general election”.

“We thank the voters of Pandan and Setiawangsa for choosing us to represent them in Parliament for two terms. Our service centres will operate as usual and continue assisting voters,” they said.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.