PETALING JAYA: Barisan Nasional (BN) has called on the US Department of Justice (DoJ) to reveal the identities of the complainants that led to the agency’s high-profile civil suit to seize assets allegedly purchased with funds linked to 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB).
BN strategic communications director Abdul Rahman Dahlan said today that the DoJ’s actions were clearly triggered by complaints made by certain individuals.
“My suspicion is that these complainants are actually Malaysians with a political agenda against the prime minister and the government,” he said in a statement.
The minister in the Prime Minister’s Department said Malaysians deserved to know who the complainants were and that the DoJ should reveal their identities immediately.
He said this was necessary so that the people will quickly realise how deeply the complainants are involved in the opposition parties’ agenda to topple Prime Minister Najib Razak and the democratically-elected Malaysian government.
He also said 1MDB was not party to the suit instituted by the DoJ.
“In fact, the assets that the DoJ alleges were wrongfully procured and seeks to seize were in fact purchased by entities not legally owned nor controlled by 1MDB.”
He added that while the DoJ had every right to file the suit, it should be based on provable facts and not contain baseless rhetoric or ill-intentioned statements.
“More importantly, the allegations made by the DoJ must first be proven in a court of law, before they can be accepted as fact.”
Rahman said Malaysia had conducted its own investigations, and the public accounts committee (PAC), comprising representatives from both sides of the political divide in Parliament, had not found any evidence that money had been misappropriated from 1MDB.
In its court filing in California on June 5, the DoJ sought to seize US$540 million (RM2.3 billion) in assets, including artworks, jewellery, a luxury yacht and film rights purchased with funds allegedly embezzled from 1MDB.
The assets named in the applications included the film rights to the two comedies, “Dumb and Dumber To”, starring Jim Carrey, and “Daddy’s Home”, featuring Will Ferrell.
The action follows last July’s civil forfeiture suit by the DoJ which sought to recover all the assets including but not limited to the Park Lane Hotel in New York, a luxury hotel in Beverly Hills, condominiums in New York, a private jet and expensive works of art, as well as finances related to Martin Scorsese’s movie “The Wolf of Wall Street”, starring Leonardo DiCaprio