KOTA KINABALU: Christina Liew will be one busy person shuttling between Sabah’s east and west coasts in the next two weeks. Besides being busy with party matters as head of Sabah PKR, she will have to travel coast to coast to campaign for herself.
In the party general election line-up announced today, she is nominated to seek re-election in Api-Api, a state seat on the west coast, as well as contest the Tawau parliamentary seat on the east coast.
Announcing the party’s Sabah line-up today, Liew said the party has dropped Dr Roland Chia (of Inanam state seat) from the candidates’ list, and has nominated Penampang PKR chief Kenny Chua to contest there instead.
Explaining how PKR selected prospective candidates, Liew said the procedure included sending an audit team to check on the performance of each assembly member. “The audit report will then be forwarded to the election committee who will select election candidates,” she said.
Liew said candidates would be selected based on whether they fulfilled the criteria set by the party.
Sabah PKR will field candidates in nine state seats and six parliamentary seats, among them four women and two youth candidates.
The four women are Liew, Chrisnadia Sinam, 35, an engineer (nominated for Tuaran), Lukia Indan (Kadamaian), with the fourth to be named on Friday to contest in Moyog.
The youth candidates are Chrisnadia and Raymond Ahuar, 33, who will contest Pensiangan.
The other contests are:
- Tempasuk: PKR deputy state chairman Mustapha Sakmud is set to face an Umno candidate in this state seat, part of Kota Belud parliamentary constituency;
- Karanaan: Chong Peck Hing, who will seek to overturn BN’s victory in 2013 with Masidi Manjun;
- Matunggong: Sazalye Donol Abdullah will seek to recapture the seat after Jelani Hamdan left PKR to become a BN-friendly assembly member;
- Tamparuli: Dausil Kundayong will also seek to recapture the seat for PKR, after Wilfred Bumburing left to form Parti Cinta Sabah.
- Kuala Penyu: Dikin Musah, 59, is expected to face strong BN opposition.
- Beaufort: Johan @ Christopher Ghani
- Ranau: Jonathan Yasin
- Putatan: Awang Husaini Sahari
PKR’s allies in Pakatan Harapan announced their election plans last week. DAP will contest seven state seats and three parliamentary seats, while Parti Amanah Negara intends to contest in two state seats and two parliamentary seats.
Click here to get live updates throughout the GE14 season