PSM to contest in Semenyih, candidate to be known next week

PSM central committee member S Arutchelvan. (Bernama pic)

PETALING JAYA: PSM today confirmed it will contest next month in the Semenyih by-election, which is likely to be another multi-cornered fight.

The party’s central committee member, S Arutchelvan, said they will name the candidate on Feb 13.

“The party decided to contest for the seat on Sunday,” he told FMT.

Polling for the state seat will be on March 2.

The seat fell vacant after its incumbent assemblyman, Bakhtiar Mohd Nor, of PPBM, died on Jan 11 from a heart attack.

In the 14th general election, Bakhtiar defeated BN, PAS and PSM in a four-cornered fight, obtaining a majority of 8,964 votes. He garnered 23,428 votes.

Arutchelvan, who vied for the seat in the May 9 polls, said the party wanted to offer the voters in Semenyih an alternative to PPBM and Umno.

“PPBM and Umno are of the same DNA.

“And this is our chance to introduce some of our policies,” he said, adding that they intend to campaign on issues revolving around housing and contract workers.

Earlier today, activist Kuan Chee Heng, also known as “Uncle Kentang” or the “10-sen man”, threw his hat into the ring as he wanted to “give the poor and sick a voice in society”.

PPBM has said it would represent Pakatan Harapan, while Barisan Nasional said it would announce its candidate soon.

Gerakan, which left the BN coalition last year, said it was also likely to contest the state seat.