SHAH ALAM: Lawyers for Altantuya Shaariibuu’s family today said they are still seeking the exhibits and evidence used during her murder trial in 2006 for the RM100 million lawsuit against the government and three others.
Lawyer Sangeet Kaur Deo said then-High Court judge Mohd Zaki Md Yasin had ordered that the original exhibits and evidence be kept by the court after the murder case concluded on April 9, 2009.
“We are following up with the court registrar on whether the exhibits are still under their custody, as the trial judge ordered the court to keep the exhibits,” she said.
She added that the family had written to the court registrar several times enquiring about the status of the exhibits.
She said Zaki had only ordered that the detonator for the bomb be returned to the police.
High Court judge Vazeer Alam Mydin Meera, who is hearing the suit brought by Altantuya’s family against the government, political analyst Razak Baginda, and policemen Azilah Hadri and Sirul Azhar Umar, fixed June 24 for mention pending attempts to locate the exhibits.
Two expert witnesses were previously unable to testify in the suit as they could not identify the exhibits.
Sangeet said then that the family would be forced to “prove the killing all over again” as the court barred them from including the evidence used in the hearing of Altantuya’s murder case.
Altantuya, an interpreter, was murdered in October 2006 in the jungles in Puncak Alam near Shah Alam, Selangor. She was shot in the head before her body was blown up with explosives.
Razak, who was an aide to then-deputy prime minister Najib Razak, was charged with abetting Azilah and Sirul, but he was later acquitted without his defence being called.
In their suit, Altantuya’s father, Shaariibuu Setev, his wife Altantsetseg Sanjaa, and Altantuya’s son Mungunshagai allege a conspiracy in her murder and are seeking damages.