Clarify number of stranded Chinese tourists in Sabah, NGO urges Shafie

Clarify number of stranded Chinese tourists in Sabah, NGO urges Shafie

Himpunan Asasi Rakyat Sabah criiticises contradictory responses from the authorities and the state government.

There have been conflicting figures on the number of Chinese visitors still in Sabah. (Bernama pic)
KOTA KINABALU:
An indigenous people’s group has urged the Sabah government to clarify the status of stranded Chinese tourists in the state due to the Covid-19 outbreak, saying media reports are giving conflicting figures.

Himpunan Asasi Rakyat Sabah (Harus) spokesman Samuel Lai said the government, especially Chief Minister Mohd Shafie Apdal, should shed light on the matter.

Lai said Harus was “deeply concerned” with reports that thousands of Chinese tourists were stranded in Sabah because of the outbreak.

“We find these reports and responses from the authorities and the state government, particularly the chief minister, contradictory.

“The mishandling of information and reporting on the issue is of grave concern as transparency is crucial in guiding Sabahans through the crisis,” he told FMT.

Lai said that according to a Jan 30 Daily Express report, 5,418 Wuhan residents had entered Sabah and it was not known if they were still in the state.

A report by Malay Mail on Feb 3, quoting the Chinese consulate-general in Sabah, requested the state government to formulate an action plan to help send back “thousands” of tourists stuck in Sabah.

This followed the state’s decision to bar direct flights from China.

Harus spokesman Samuel Lai.

He said the Daily Express on Feb 7 quoted Shafie as dismissing claims that Chinese tourists were stranded here.

This, he said, indicated a lack of reliable information and leadership.

Lai said FMT reported on Feb 12 that only about 200 Chinese tourists were still in Sabah, this time quoting Chinese consul-general Liang Caide.

He said the envoy also disclosed that between 2,000 and 3,000 China nationals held work passes in Sabah while another 700 were students, mostly studying at Universiti Malaysia Sabah.

“The situation was further muddled when The Star, quoting Sabah Immigration Department director Muhamad Sade Mohamad Amin, reported that 15,907 Chinese nationals had entered Sabah as of Jan 31.

“This was the day the Sabah government stopped all commercial direct flights from China,” he said.

Lai said Muhamad also disclosed that only 2,919 Chinese had left Sabah between Feb 1 and 10.

“Looking at all these statements and news reports, there is a major discrepancy in the information and truth,” he said.

“The information given by the chief minister or Chinese envoy could be incorrect. Or is this a shortcoming on the part of the immigration director?

“These contradictions and lack of truth can cause much anxiety and a lack of trust in our information management and public outreach in dealing with the coronavirus outbreak.”

He said this is especially so after the recent warning by the World Health Organisation that all countries, including Malaysia, should prepare for the possibility of a wider transmission of the Covid-19 virus.

“Sabah is vulnerable because of the lack of information and expertise and facilities to deal with an outbreak, as admitted by the chief minister previously.

“The chief minister should clarify the situation in a transparent and honest manner and take responsibility,” he said.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.