PUTRAJAYA: Beginning June 1, Malaysians returning to the country will need to pay 50% of the hotel charges for the mandatory 14-day quarantine.
Speaking at a press conference here today, Senior Minister for Security Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the other half of the costs would be borne by the government, following a fixed ceiling cost of RM150 per day.
Permanent residents and foreigners meanwhile will be required to pay the hotel charges in full.
Ismail said the National Security Council (NSC) had also decided that Malaysians and foreigners alike would sign the agreement for payment before entering the country.
“A lot of non-Malaysians married to Malaysians did not want to pay. Now they will have to sign the agreement first,” he said.
He added that the Malaysian embassies overseas would issue the letter to be signed before the individuals concerned board their flights.
The immigration department meanwhile will notify all airlines to ensure that the letter has been signed.
As for those under the Malaysia My Second Home programme, he said they too would be allowed to enter the country.
“But it will not be automatic. They will have to apply. We will need to see which country they are coming from as some of them may be coming from high-risk countries.”
He said the final decision would lie with the health ministry, NSC and tourism ministry.
He said the NSC had also decided to allow movie, drama and advertising producers to resume business, but only after Hari Raya.
“They may be allowed at the end of June,” he added.
All producers and crew members are to follow strict standard operating procedures (SOP) such as maintaining a one-metre distance from each other.
Talent searches meanwhile are to be done online, and there should be not more than 20 people at any one shooting.
“They need to have someone to ensure that the SOPs are followed during production,” Ismail said, adding that buffets are also prohibited.
However, live performances are still forbidden.
When asked about companies barring their staff from working from home as nurseries are still closed, he said there had been no such instruction from the NSC.
At government departments, he said, 20% of staff are still working from home for this reason.
On reports that illegal immigrants from Myanmar had tested positive for Covid-19, he said they tested positive after arriving at their home country. He added that they had entered Malaysia before the movement control order was implemented on March 18.
He said the illegals at depots did not have the virus but would nonetheless need to wear face masks and gloves and to use hand sanitisers.
Visitors including NGOs such as the Red Crescent Society and Amnesty International are barred from depots.
Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.