Sabah, Sarawak sidelined again in BN manifesto, says Leiking

Sabah, Sarawak sidelined again in BN manifesto, says Leiking

The Warisan deputy president has questioned why BN dropped a promise to appoint a deputy prime minister from Sabah and Sarawak.

Warisan deputy president Darell Leiking is seeking re-election in Penampang, Sabah. (Facebook pic)
PETALING JAYA:
A Warisan leader has questioned why Barisan Nasional’s manifesto omitted a pledge to appoint a deputy prime minister from East Malaysia as previously promised.

Darell Leiking said the exclusion has reduced Sabah and Sarawak to a “side dish”, especially after BN chairman Ahmad Zahid Hamidi had made a pledge last month on such an appointment if BN won the general election.

“I guess it is another ‘standard’ treatment of Sabah and Sarawak by west Malaysians,” the Warisan deputy president told FMT. “The omission is a reflection of what they think of us.”

Leiking, who will be defending his Penampang parliamentary seat on Nov 19, said such treatment made it more imperative to emancipate Sabah from any control of parties based in west Malaysia.

He said it was time to reset Sabah and Sarawak as a strong bloc in the formation of the next federal government.

The BN manifesto released this evening contained 99 promises. The coalition promised to develop Sabah and Sarawak in line “with the spirit of the Federal Constitution” and uphold equitable development between East and West Malaysia.

Sabah and Sarawak would be made the new security hub and be developed as new economic giants.

Pakatan Harapan has promised to have two deputy prime ministers – one from the Peninsula and another from East Malaysia.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.