
MCMC chairman Fadhlullah Suhaimi Abdul Malek said the lack of cooperation from the community in reporting the spread of fake news made it difficult for legal action to be taken against the culprits.
“Legal action can only be taken against those who are reported. This is important, if people do not report, it is difficult for action to be taken,” he told Bernama yesterday.
Fadhlullah, however, said legal action should be the last resort in dealing with the matter and advocacy efforts will continue to change the mindset of the community, including getting them to always check the authenticity (of the information) before disseminating it to others.
Sharing fake content is an offence under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998, which carries a maximum fine of RM50,000 or a jail term not exceeding one year or both.
On Tuesday, senior minister for security and defence minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob said until Jan 18, a total of 278 investigation papers had been opened by the police and MCMC regarding false news related to Covid-19.
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST DATA ON THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA